The guy behind the lens

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

THE TOP TEN BLUE LION PHOTOS OF 2011 - Post 2 of 6

Here in the second installment of the 2011 Blue Lion Photos Top Ten list, we have the 8th and 7th most viewed images from Blue Lion Photos.

NUMBER 8: “Buttonbush”


As a Biology teacher, I find a great deal of fascination in many aspects of nature. However, this flower is one of my all-time favorites. I enjoy it because it is so unusual in its shape and intricate detail. It also is an unusual flower in that it thrives at the most inhospitable time of the year – the dog days of summer in Texas (albeit in swampy locations).


NUMBER 7: “Eagle Pride”

Eagle Pride

I am always secretly pleased when people see this image and ask how I was able to capture BOTH the flag and eagle in the same shot. I then gave to confess that this is a compilation of two shots. I find pleasure in being able to have merged these two complementary subjects into one thematic piece. The greeting card version of this image has proven quite popular with both Veterans as well as friends who wanted to give a special gift for a Boy Scout who earns the rank of Eagle Scout. I am honored that folks would consider sharing my work with such worthy recipients.

Please return tomorrow to view the third installment of this series where I will share the 6th and 5th most popular Blue Lion Photos of 2011!

If you missed the first installment, please click HERE.

3 comments:

Wendys Hat said...

I am in love with #8 your flower picture! I love seeing things close up and with all that texture. I also am a flower freak. You did a wonderful job with all of your pictures, but especially this one! It reminds me of the pincushion flower which I have and love.

Unknown said...

Thanks Wendy! I know the first time I saw a buttonbush blossom I did not think it was real! A goal of mine is to get an good image of a butterfly sipping nectar from those wonderfully tubular florets!

Julie G. said...

John, I can see why these two images have made the top 10 most viewed photographs. Both are fantastic! That Buttonbush bloom is especially interesting and beautiful ... exquisite detail. I have never seen one of these flowers before. I'm not surprised that your second image is popular as a greeting card. Wonderful, as always! I will have to take a look at your first post, somehow I missed it.

Wishing you a healthy, happy New Year filled with joy!